articles » "America's Many Faces of God"
America's Many Faces of God
According to a Baylor University
study released 9-Sept-2006, Americans believe in 4 different types of gods:
The results also shows relationships between the 4 god types and race, geographic regions and education:
- 31.4% believe in an Authoritarian God who is very judgmental and engaged
- 25% believe in a Benevolent God who is not judgmental but engaged
- 23% believe in a Distant God who is completely removed
- 16% believe in a Critical God who is judgmental but not engaged
- African-Americans believe overwhelmingly in an Authoritarian God (53.4 percent)
- Easterners tend towards belief in a Critical God; Southerners tend towards an Authoritarian God;
Midwesterners believe in a Benevolent God; and the West Coast believes in a Distant God.
- Individuals with lower educations and lower incomes tend towards more engaged images of God.