articles » "Protestantism's Founding Father"
Protestantism's Founding Father
Martin Luther (1483-1546) was a German Priest and Scholar whose questioning of certain church
practices led to the Protestant Reformation. He is credited by Protestant Christians with being the founder
of Protestantism. His translation of the Bible into German significantly influenced the English
King James Version of the Bible. His hymn,
A Mighty Fortress is Our God,
is widely sung in Churches to this day. Four hundred million Protestant Christians tracing their
roots back to Luther's reforming work.
says: "The life of Martin Luther is a stirring tale of God's grace. Few men have influenced the Christian church more than Luther."
Here is what Martin Luther says about reason:
- Reason is the enemy of faith
- Reason should be destroyed in all Christians
- Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
- Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
- Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason
...about Jews, Catholics, and others who do not share his theological views:
- The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes
- No gown worse becomes a woman than the desire to be wise
- He who does not receive my doctrine cannot be saved
- Heretics are not to be disputed with, but to be condemned unheard, and whilst they perish by fire,
the faithful ought to pursue the evil to its source, and bathe their heads in the blood of the Catholic
bishops, and of the Pope, who is the devil in disguise.
- I feel much freer now that I am certain the pope is the Antichrist
- Jews and papists are ungodly wretches; they are two stockings made of one piece of cloth
- If I had to baptize a Jew, I would take him to the bridge of the Elbe, hang a stone around his neck
and push him over with the words "I baptize thee in the name of Abraham"
- We are at fault for not slaying them (the Jews)
- He who hears this name (God) from a Jew must inform the authorities, or else throw sow dung at
him when he sees him and chase him away
- Therefore be on your guard against the Jews, knowing that wherever they have their synagogues,
nothing is found but a den of devils in which sheer self-glory, conceit, lies, blasphemy, and defaming
of God and men are practiced most maliciously and veheming his eyes on them
- I maintain that some Jew wrote it (the Book of James) who probably heard about Christian people but
never encountered any
... a few last pearls of wisdom to the flock:
- Who loves not wine, women and song, Remains a fool his whole life long
- Mankind has a free will; but it is free to milk cows and to build houses, nothing more.
- Idiots, the lame, the blind, the dumb, are men in whom the devils have established themselves: and
all the physicians who heal these infirmities, as though they proceeded from natural causes, are